Too Much Trick or Treat Candy

Did you know that the average American consumes 22 pounds of candy yearly? Festivals like Valentine’s Day, Easter, and Halloween are key to this staggering statistic. During Halloween, children dress up in costumes and collect door-to-door candy, which is the treat. It is an exciting and fun experience, however, the levels of candy consumed are harmful to your health.

Candy and gum disease

Candy does not cause gum disease, the bacteria in your teeth does. If you consume high amounts of sugar, you are going to be feeding the bacteria. The bacteria irritate your gums and eventually can get swollen.

Candy and mouth acidity

In addition, sugar increases the acid levels in your mouth. At normal pH, your mouth is at its best. With slightly high levels of sugar in your mouth, your mouth’s acidity increases. The sugar is broken down by saliva. The bacteria then mix with the sugar eroding the enamel.

Health concerns

Too much candy has negative effects on your body. Not only does it increase the risk of allergies but also can cause issues within your mouth. It increases the risk of gum disease and tooth decay. The sugar content found in candy feeds the bacteria in your mouth. These bacteria produce acid waste that damages your tooth enamel. Most Halloween candies have high sugar content, unhealthy fats, and calories. Parents are advised to limit the amount of candy their kids consume during such occasions. A little chocolate is fine, but you do not want to overdo it.

Sharing and donating

In conclusion, do not eat all the candy you are treated to, share with your friends. This is an opportunity to teach your child the importance of sharing and donating. Encourage your kids to share excess candy with charitable organizations. This can promote generosity and empathy. This improves relations in the community.

Our offices are open for any treatment issues that are candy related. We can also advise you on how to limit your child’s candy intake. Call us today.